Monday, November 5, 2012

Concupiscent Diem


 "Concupiscent curds" said more specifically as, "con-cue-piss-senT curds" stuck in my head like a catchy Justin Beiber song. Something about the way that girl in the You-Tube video said those two words had them ringing in my head. On my walk home, walking to the beat of the music on my iPod, humming "concupiscent curds", I wondered why it was so stuck in my head this time, rather than the hundreds of times before that I read the poem or heard it. I wondered if it was because it was so latently sprinkled with sex (I feel odd saying that considering the child who was reciting the poem...), or if there was something underlying that the poem needed me to discover. So I went back to it.
Oh, how I had merely read it before.
If there was a subtitle to this poem, it would be "Carpe Diem". This poem is centered around a wake for woman who worked hard all her life (horny, callused feet), not sparing time to enjoy it. This wake wasn't focused on the woman, however. This was an excuse to mingle with "muscular men" and "wenches", a reason to engage in "concupiscent" indulgences. Ice cream takes on major symbolism as being sweet and pleasurable, but melting quickly; seize the moment, embrace life's pleasures before time slips away.
"Her horny feet protrude, they come/to show how cold she is; how dumb". She is dead now, mute, no longer able to give her disapproval of the goings on around her, but also, dumb for not engaging life while she had the chance. The lamp shines a beam, a spotlight, on the living not the dead. Carpe Diem.
Although that girl was boarder-line obnoxious, and her annunciation was misplaced at times, the way she sprinkled the poem with sensuality was quite spot on. Upon first hearing her recitation, I found her eroticism of certain words uber excessive, but now, I can see how appropriate it really is. The Emperor of Ice Cream isn't what I would call an erotic poem, by any means, but definitely a poem that encourages human sensuality and indulgences, as it so vividly shows that life is short. One works hard all their life and ends up dead. Well, we are all ending up dead eventually, so why lead such a dry, undiscovered life?
I can agree with the Emperor on this one: Carpe Diem because we're all gonna be dead soon, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment